Monday, August 13, 2007

Tommy Thompson Quitting Run for the White House

MILWAUKEE — Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson, the longshot who had pinned his 2008 presidential hopes on a top-two showing in the Iowa Republican Party Straw Poll, has decided to end his candidacy, FOX News has learned.

"I'm outta the race," Thompson told MyFoxMilwaukee.com.

Thompson, 65, said he felt like he'd been hit by a Mack truck after hearing the news of his 6th place finish at Saturday's Iowa Republican Party Straw Poll, adding that his campaign was shocked after hearing the results. They were hoping for a top two finish.

While Thompson isn't endorsing any Republican candidate for president yet, he said he's been approached by some of them.

Thompson was facing an uphill battle from the outset, lagging well behind the leading Republican presidential candidates in fundraising.

He raised $473,000 from April to June, while GOP rivals Romney and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani each raised more than $10 million during the same period.

Thompson spokesman Brian Dumas said the governor would make a formal announcement about his campaign within the next two days.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney won an expected victory with 4,516 votes, or 31.5 percent. He outpaced former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who had 2,587 votes (18.1 percent), and Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, who finished third with 2,192 votes (15.3 percent).

Full Story


Conservative Bloggers Comments:
Ok..yes I got my candidates confused and thanks to 2 Cents for setting me straight. It isn't that I really had them confused, I just really didn't think about it. Anyway, I am not sure exactly what I thought about him as a Presidential Candidate. He was in and out so fast that I reserve any judgement at all. I am still undecided on the rest of the field but will try to post a bit on the race and particular candidates when we get a bit closer. The Noodle will endorse someone, and I can assure you it won't be Clinton or Obama..:) Do you think any of the campaigns will contact us for the Noodles endorsement?..haha

No comments: