Thursday, August 23, 2007

Timeless Quote

By Conservative Blogger
August 23rd 2007 11:15am EST

So often in conversations I am confronted by people that simply believe that war (or conflict in general) is never the answer. While that may be a wonderful dream, it has thus far in mankind's existence proven to be a poor model with which to exist (if you plan on living long or at least living free). At any rate, I have been racking my brain trying to find a quote I once read that is perfect for this very subject. I had no luck for the longest time and then today I finally stumbled upon it once again. Thanks Jon Stuart Mills for your timeless words of wisdom. This quote will join my top quote lineup at the bottom of the website.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

No comments: